May is National Skin Cancer/Melanoma Awareness Month!
With more than five million people diagnosed each year, skin cancer is one of the most common types of cancer. It is also preventable and can be highly treatable when caught early.
Here are a few facts about skin cancer that you may not know:
- More than 90% of skin cancer is caused by sun exposure.
- 1 in 3 Caucasians will be diagnosed with skin cancer at some point in their lifetime.
- Dark skin tones absorb twice as many UV rays as fair skin tones, but people with darker skin tones still need to use sunscreen – melanin can only provide a natural protection of up to SPF 13.
- One bad sunburn during childhood can double the risk of skin cancer later in life.
- Melanoma is the most common cancer in young adults, especially young women.
These statistics are scary, but there is plenty of hope! We can take steps to protect our skin and prevent skin cancer. Here are some tips:
- Wear sunscreen every day. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends using a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Mineral makeup naturally provides some sun protection as well. The minerals used act like little shields, and the UV rays hit the small particles and bounce off. We have a full line of Mineral Makeup for nontoxic beauty solutions.
- Dress for the occasion. Cover up with clothing, a large hat that covers your face and neck, and wear UV-blocking sunglasses when out in the sun for long periods of time. Using a rash guard with UV protection when swimming will also help to protect your arms, neck, and torso.
- Set up a cool environment. Try to stick to the shade, especially during the time when the sun is the fiercest (usually 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.). Use an umbrella or tent to create shade in open areas and keep track of the time you’re spending in the sun. Try not to overdo it!
- Use the right kind of sunscreen. Mineral sunscreen gets to work as soon as it’s applied. It creates a physical barrier so that UV rays are reflected, not absorbed into your skin. This makes it more effective for acne-prone skin, and less likely to cause irritation. Our Mineral Sun Stick is super easy to apply and small enough to carry with you anywhere. Chemical sunscreens take up to 30 minutes to begin working effectively. Many contain toxic ingredients that may help to protect the skin from UVA and UVB rays, but also add stress to your lymphatic, circulatory, and nervous systems, and have a negative impact on marine life. Be an informed consumer and know what you are putting on your skin.
- Go sunless. Want to protect your skin but still have a nice tan? Try Jordan Essentials Sunless Tanning Lotion. JE Sunless Tanning Lotion uses the natural sugars in your skin to darken the pigments for a natural tan that doesn’t turn orange, streak, or discolor. Available in Sunkissed or Bronzed!
- Check yourself. Do your best not to burn, and if you do, treat immediately with Skin Relief Lotion. With aloe, seaweed, chamomile, and green tea – it’s the perfect way to naturally promote healing. Check your skin regularly for abnormalities, and if you are concerned with any lumps, spots, moles, or discoloration, see your dermatologist immediately. Skin issues are best treated when detected early. Set a yearly appointment for a check-up exam with your dermatologist, especially if you are often out in the sun.
Follow these simple steps to keep your skin cancer risk factors low. Please share with friends and family so they too will be armed with this knowledge and keep their skin safe. Prevention is the easiest way to keep our skin healthy – get your sunscreen on!
For informational and entertainment purposes only. Not intended to diagnose, prevent, treat, or cure anything. Consult your healthcare provider with specific concerns.